Eldorado

Barge. Also known as Originally built as the steamer Equator, engines removed 1871

All wrecks

Type
Barge
Also known as
Originally built as the steamer Equator, engines removed 1871
Built
1857
Size
189' x 32' x 11'
Gross tonnage
489
Owner
L.L. Slyfield of St. Clair, Michigan
Date lost
Saturday, November 20, 1880
Cause of loss
Storm. Swayze places the loss just east of the harbour entrance at Erie. She was one of at least three vessels lost in the Erie area that same day.
Lives lost
0
Registry
Official number 135117. PHMC PASS number 36ER0333.
PHMC site number
36ER0333 ( http://www.phmc.pa.gov/Preservation/ )

Position 42.17359, -80.01484 (as charted by RSC, from the Regional Science Consortium shipwreck map)

Recorded location: 42.17359, -80.01483, 77 Degrees T 2.3 miles off Erie, Pa., just east of Four Mile Creek

The short version

Eldorado began life in 1857 as the steamer Equator, built at Buffalo. Her engines were removed in 1871 and she was renamed Eldorado, spending her remaining years as an unpowered barge in tow. At the time of her loss she was owned by L.L. Slyfield of St. Clair, Michigan. She was lost in a storm on 20 November 1880 near the entrance to Erie harbour, on a day that claimed several other vessels in the same waters, and Swayze records that she was carrying no cargo. All seven aboard survived.