Philip D. Armour

Wooden bulk freight propeller steamer, cut down to a tow barge in 1915, the year she was lost. Also known as Listed by the Regional Science Consortium as Armour

All wrecks

Type
Wooden bulk freight propeller steamer, cut down to a tow barge in 1915, the year she was lost
Also known as
Listed by the Regional Science Consortium as Armour
Built
1889 at Detroit, Michigan, by the Detroit Dry Dock Co., hull number 93, launched 20 March 1889
Size
264.0 registered length (280 ft 6 in overall), 40.6 beam, 21.0 depth of hold
Gross tonnage
1990.94
Net tonnage
1452.71
Owner
At loss, John J. Boland of Buffalo (Boland and Cornelius in the Swayze file), bought 1915. Previously Pittsburgh and Lake Erie Coal Co. of Erie, 1907 to 1915. Originally R.P. Fitzgerald, Philip D. Armour and Wiley M. Egan of Milwaukee, one third each.
Cargo
Coal
Date lost
13 November 1915
Cause of loss
Storm. Bound Ashtabula for Welland in tow of the tug Henry E. Gillen. Running for shelter at Erie the tow line fouled the tug's propeller and parted, and the barge drifted onto a reef and sank, slipping into deeper water after her crew abandoned her.
Lives lost
0, with ten aboard, all saved
Depth
30
Registry
PHMC site records held by RSC. Detroit Dry Dock hull number 93.

Position 42.12803, -80.17825 (published to arc-second precision, from the ShipwreckWorld (Jim Kennard) (42 deg 7' 40.9188" N, 80 deg 10' 41.7" W))

Recorded location: 42.11666, -80.16666 Sidescan Sonar Images

What it was

Built at Detroit in 1889 as a big wooden bulk propeller for a Milwaukee syndicate that included the meatpacker Philip D. Armour himself. She had a rough start, sunk in a collision with the steamer Marion in September 1889 and abandoned to the underwriters as a constructive total loss, then raised in 1890 by the Reid Wrecking Co. in what was called one of the great salvage feats of its day, rebuilt and returned to service. She worked another quarter century, came to Erie ownership in 1907 under the Pittsburgh and Lake Erie Coal Co., and in 1915 was sold to John J. Boland of Buffalo and cut down to a towing barge.

How it was lost

On 13 November 1915, coal laden from Ashtabula for Welland behind the tug Henry E. Gillen, she was caught in a gale. The tow line fouled the tug's wheel and snapped and the barge drove onto a reef off Erie. All ten aboard got off, and after they abandoned her the hull slid into deeper water where it lies today.

Diving it

About 30 feet and rated novice by ShipwreckWorld. She is dived, and diver video of the site exists. No sourced visibility figure was found.

The wreck today

A shallow, broken wooden wreck. The Regional Science Consortium holds sidescan sonar imagery of the site. No detailed structural description was found in accessible sources.